[ale] OT: Go Vote!

Chris Ness mness215 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 18 20:11:56 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 18 July 2006 07:44 pm, Jim Philips wrote:
> KingBahamut wrote:
> > I guess there is that whole electoral college thing, which I dont get
> > entirely.
>
> Well, without it, the candidate who got the most votes would win. And
> that would be too logical. So, we created the electoral college as a way
> of allowing the minority vote-getter to win. Ingenious, isn't it? (This
> is not a partisan post. I just think the electoral college system is
> crazy.)

Actually, it is one of the better things the founding fathers gave us. And we
need it now more than ever. It is the same as the number of Senators and
Representatives. It gives some balance to the people who live in places other
than California and New York. As it is, candidates don't even campaign - at
all - in as many as half the states. People who live in South Dakota for
example barely count now, but at least they have 3 electors. Since the
passage of the Seventeenth Amendment of the Constitution, we are barely the
United states of America anymore and are gravitating to being the People's
Republic of America. Here in Georgia, we still barely count. Go to a strict
plurality, we won't count at all.