[ale] [OT] Angies List - what's not to like

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at TheWorld.com
Mon Jul 17 21:49:40 EDT 2006

>Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 20:25:00 -0400
>From: Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net>
>To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
>Subject: Re: [ale] [OT] Angies List - what's not to like
>
>Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
>
>> I don't know your situation there in Georgia but here in
>> Alabama there is a license law for (construction) contractors &
>> skilled trades.  IMO the best (quick) information source for
>> these is your local Homebuilders Association.  State licensure
>> is one membership requirement.  Disclaimer: I am both a member
>> of said organization and licensed in my state.
>
>I don't know what your situation there in Alabama is, but here in
>Georgia anyone can purchase a builder's license.  It's a matter of
>money, not skill or knowledge.. :)

Here, it's a matter of money (of course), not only license
fee(s) but also insurance & bonding.  Depending on specific
trades, both skill & knowledge count too.  These apply even
if you're "building your own."

Our license law is rather "new" and IIRC came about in
wake of fraud(s) from hurricane & other storm-type damage(s)
recovery (e.g. "take the money & run," non-completion, & shoddy
workmanship).  I don't know the situations in (for example) our
neighboring states, it's all I can do to keep up with "here." :)

>I'm not sure I'd rely on the homebuilder's association, after all, it's
>a homebuilder's association, not a homeOWNERS association.  I've built
>four homes in four different states, if you want it done right, you
>better be there to see it's done right.

Well, that presupposes that the homeOWNER is technically
competent to evaluate the quality and/or code-compliance of
work done (or lack thereof).  If you are, great, but most
homeowners aren't; that's why we have a strong license law & a
homebuilders association that (afaik) aggressively investigates
problem reports.  I believe I'd take more stock in information
from the state licensure board, the homebuilders association,
the local Chamber of Commerce, the Better Business Bureau,
or the Consumer Protection Agency than from some website whose
information may or may not be verifiable.  Disclaimer:  I've
never used the list mentioned by the OP, at least not yet.  :)

>Having a license does not necessarily indicate a skill or knowledge.

Agreed, but it does take away *some* of the risk.

-kc