[ale] motherboard RAID versus software RAID

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 20 15:07:23 EST 2006

John Wells wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I've been running software RAID on one of my servers for some time. It
> works very well.
>
> I'm now out of space, and am planning to add two additional SATA 250 GB
> drives tonight as an additional RAID 1 array.  I also recently upgraded
> the motherboard to an ASUS A7V-600X. The motherboard has a RAID option for
> SATA drives...as I've never owned any serial ATAs before it's gone unused.
>
> Would you recommend going with Linux's software RAID for these two drives,
> or should I go with the motherboard's RAID? I have no idea of the quality
> of the MB raid, and I suspect Linux's software RAID might offer more
> flexibility, but wanted to hear opinions from the group.

I've never had good success w/ ASUS motherboard RAID controllers
(specifically the Promise ones).  I currently use RocketRaid
controllers.  The 2240 supports SATA hotswap and is worth the extra $$.
  I also have a 1640 that I have been using for the past year on a WinXP
box, this system has 4 300GB SATA drives in RAID5 config and works near
flawlessly.  RocketRaid supports Linux very well.

-Jim P.