[ale] motherboard RAID versus software RAID

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Fri Jan 20 16:31:30 EST 2006

Jim Popovitch said:
> I've never had good success w/ ASUS motherboard RAID controllers
> (specifically the Promise ones).  I currently use RocketRaid
> controllers.  The 2240 supports SATA hotswap and is worth the extra $$.
>   I also have a 1640 that I have been using for the past year on a WinXP
> box, this system has 4 300GB SATA drives in RAID5 config and works near
> flawlessly.  RocketRaid supports Linux very well.

Jim,

I'm afraid an extra purchase is out of the question currently, I'll take
it from your comments that if choosing between Linux's software RAID and
the Asus RAID, you'd choose the former.

What sort of problems did you have, if you don't mind me asking? How did
they manifest themselves?

Thanks!
John