[ale] Bellsouth DSL

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Jan 10 09:23:15 EST 2005

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 06:51 -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>>Jim Popovitch wrote:
>>
>>>I use Yahoo too (obviously), so why do you need POP3 and SMTP ports open
>>>on your upstream network?
>>
>>It really doesn't matter why he want's it.  Why question freedom to
>>choose?
>

> Well, here's why:  Spammers use dialup, and other cheap lines, to bulk
> email their trash directly to other mailservers.  So, if I run a
> legitimate mailserver. I have to make a choice whether to accept email
> from all of Comcast's IPs or just the ones identified as Comcast's mail
> servers.  If Comcast blocked port 25 then Comcast becomes responsible
> for approving their users behavior, etc., rather then EVERY other
> business.

Unfortunately, it's not something the isp's are going to research much,
thus they'll basically either block them all or none.  I do like the
idea of hitting the problem at the source.  I would rather it be dealt
with before it get's on my box, but a good solution doesn't quite exist
yet.  Personally, I think that once you've been identified as a spammer,
then your network access should be removed for a year or so.  Grant it,
there'll be some who work around it, but making everyone pay the price
because of a few sleazy jerks is not the right solution.

>>I will say it's quite difficult to test such a setup for a
>>client if your isp is blocking those ports.
>

> Your clients should use business solutions, not home solutions.  I know
> of NO ISP that port blocks on business data lines.

I'm referring to initial testing which I don't do from a client's
network, but from my own.  Regardless, it was hypothetical as I don't
have such a problem.

For many small businesses a 'home solution' makes sense for many folks,
particularly when it's run from a residence.  At one time, Bellsouth
wouldn't even consider business service to a residence.  There are a
huge number of folks who have residential services and use them for
business.  Voice and ip.  It makes no sense to pay Bellsouth a higher
price for the same services because they call it a 'business line.'

--
Until later, Geoffrey