[ale] Bellsouth DSL

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 10 07:06:15 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 06:51 -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
> Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > I use Yahoo too (obviously), so why do you need POP3 and SMTP ports open
> > on your upstream network?
>
> It really doesn't matter why he want's it.  Why question freedom to
> choose?

Well, here's why:  Spammers use dialup, and other cheap lines, to bulk
email their trash directly to other mailservers.  So, if I run a
legitimate mailserver. I have to make a choice whether to accept email
from all of Comcast's IPs or just the ones identified as Comcast's mail
servers.  If Comcast blocked port 25 then Comcast becomes responsible
for approving their users behavior, etc., rather then EVERY other
business.

> I will say it's quite difficult to test such a setup for a
> client if your isp is blocking those ports.

Your clients should use business solutions, not home solutions.  I know
of NO ISP that port blocks on business data lines.

-Jim P.