[ale] DSL

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon May 5 20:16:44 EDT 2003

I can add to this as I just went through it (speakeasy is speedy!)
When you move your phone from Bellsouth to _anything_ else, bellsouth
does 2 things:
1. They purge your data from their database so no DSL provider can get
the info they need to determine if you have access to DSL capable CO
hardware.
2. They move your phone connection to non-DSL capable hardware in the
CO.

In short, Bellsouth exercises their monopoly over the last mile of wire
very well.