[ale] Quick script question

Douglas Bridges ale at politicalpurpose.com
Mon Mar 3 21:59:38 EST 2003

I am trying to write a script to do something simple, but I have run across a
little problem.  My script is trying to fire off a program with many
permutations of parameters. When it receives a valid parameter, it fires up a
GUI.  When it gets an invalid parameter, it errors out returning an error
code ($? = 1).  How can I check to see if the GUI was fired up in a bash
script so that I can automatically try all of these different parameters.
The GUI fires up within 2 seconds, so if I don't get an error code within
that time, I can kill the process and assume it worked.

Thanks,
Doug