[ale] OT: hib's again.

Frank Zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Mon Mar 3 21:25:51 EST 2003

> By the same token, a person who directs the writing and sales of an
> operating system that is of poor quality, has numerous security and
> functional flaws, obliterates competitors with impunity, and manages
> charge more money for patches than the original OS cost is called
> "living the American Dream". We are a dysfunctional society.

Dysfunctional? Not totally, I think that's too harsh. If you said
opportunistic often at the expense of ethics, I would say very much so.

> On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 11:22, Geoffrey wrote:
> > Caught a portion of a segment of 60 minutes last night regarding
IIT
> > (India Institute of Technology).  One notable comment made was that
2/3
> > of the students leave India for the United States.
> >
> > Now there's been some comments made regarding overpaid US IT
workers
> > (specific reference to a bmw..).
> >
> > I'm begun to wonder why it is that because I want a decent living,
> > nice home, nice car (it's not a bmw) and the ability to put my
daughter
> > in a nice college (which will cost me a hell of a lot more then the
> > government subsidized IIT) is considered greedy, yet graduates of
IIT
> > coming to the states for IT work is referred to as 'seeking a
better way
> > of life.'  Is not, taking a government education and leaving the
country
> > greedy?

I saw part of that also. And from a pure patriot perspective, it
somewhat angered me, but I'm not sure I blame the Indian students. If
they have been raised as children to excel in acedemics, and have met
those expectations as those on 60 Mins have done, even from within a
cheap state-sponsered top-notch foreign acedmic institution, we here in
the US should *really* examine what we are doing wrong within our own
educational systems and expectations of our own kids. We've paid this a
lot of lip service over the years, and yet it seems, nothing much has
been done to truly identify and address the real problem. If the
Inidan's kick our asses and take most of our technical jobs, I won't
like it one bit either, but I will also think we've really no one to
blame but ourselves for becoming acedecially non-competitive in the
world.

I could also rant about the incredible increasing cost of obtaining a
degree here in the US also, and how I think chronic yearly increasing
tuitions is somehow also a bullsh*t con-job, but that's another OT
topic altogether.

-fgz