[ale] OT: Re: posting to Linux mail list

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Dec 19 12:33:05 EST 2003

Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, David Corbin wrote:
>

>> I'm with Geoffrey on this.  MS business policy/strategy is to lock
>> their customers in.  I don't see how telling them what we want is
>> going to convince them to change.   All you're doing is telling
>> them WHERE they should be locking their customers in.
>

> *shrug* I don't see where stating that we avoid buying MS because
>
> * protocols are closed * file formats are closed

I did state this, in my email to Mr. Surkan.

> hurts anything. Best case, they open up and I have another vendor I
> can buy from / integrate with. Worst case, they remain closed and I
> continue to take my business elsewhere (ie, the current status quo
> ;-).

Because you don't reward bad behavior.  You don't help them until they
begin to show some signs of 'playing fair.'

I doubt the survey has any questions regarding their marketing
practices.  His words were:

"My goal is to
help us identify capabilities, improvements, and features that Microsoft
should be focusing on to help our customers over the next 5 years or so."

There's no reference to HOW they do business.  It's about making their
products better, not correcting their market approaches.

As all these responses are going to Mr. Surkan anyway, I would suggest
that each person who would like to get a shot at the survey, contact him
via private email.  That is what his request was anyway.  So, if you
would like to check it out, send him email directly.

I've decided to do so.  Primarily to see if the survey even attempts to
address such concerns.

Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net