[ale] file server partitioning recommendations....

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Wed Dec 3 14:07:17 EST 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 01:05:52PM -0500, Keith Morris wrote:
> /boot 100MB

Probably overkill, but since you hve space..

(/boot for me is rarely over 20 megs)

> swap 2GB (it has 1GB RAM)

Don't put this on the RAID-5 array; the write speeds will kill you, not
to mention slow down other array accesses.

Get another drive and use that for swap.  you can even leave it on the
3ware controller as a standalone disk.

> /  4-8GB ???

I'd go larger, but only if you odn't break /var out on its own
partition.

> /tmp 1GB

A LOT larger.

> /shares *all the rest*

> do I need a separate /usr, /var, /var/log, /var/spool....etc...etc....etc?

It's really not worth it; but it depends on what the machine's going to
be used for.   If you're goiing to have databases or mail or anything
critical running on the box I'd split /var out, possibly even into sub
partitions to keep things like, say, logs filling up from killing your
database.

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                   pizza at f*cktheusers.org
                                                           ICQ #1318444