[ale] file server partitioning recommendations....

Ronald Chmara ron at Opus1.COM
Wed Dec 3 14:42:16 EST 2003

On Dec 3, 2003, at 1:05 PM, Keith Morris wrote:
> I just got my new server in today and am getting ready to install and
> will primarily using this as a samba file/cvs/testing internal web
> server.
> The machine has a 3ware raid controller with hardware raid 5 with a
> hot spare already configured as one big drive (480GB).
> I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on partition
> structure.  There won't be any user home directories, so I don't think
> I need a separate /home filesystem.  Here are my initial thoughts:
> /boot 100MB
> swap 2GB (it has 1GB RAM)
> /  4-8GB ???
> /tmp 1GB
> /shares *all the rest*
> do I need a separate /usr, /var, /var/log,
> /var/spool....etc...etc....etc?

Well, a lot of this depends on usage, OS choices, and general software
layout. Depending on the OS and distro, /usr may see more software
than, say /var/lib, /var may see more data than /tmp, or vice versa.

As far as general reasons for partitioning, it's somewhat subjective.
Beyond swap, you don't really *have to* create partitions besides /.
However, by breaking the system into multiple partitions, if one area
breaks (or is under attack), the damage can be contained to that
area...

There used to be a lot more rules about partitions, and their order,
that helped optimize performance on smaller, slower, drives, but most
of those are obsoleted by faster drives/controllers, and cheap RAM that
means swap only (rarely) ever gets hit, in the event of impending
system failure.

As far as what I do, I tend to keep cvs in /home/cvsroot, so I split
/home off. In order to keep an eye on my high-traffic /var activity, I
split /var off. I also tend to split /usr, /boot, and /tmp, out. As far
as how big to make the  partitions, I generally do a test install on a
two partition machine (swap, /) to figure out how much space the distro
needs/uses. I then check (cd / ; du -h --max-depth-1) what space the
distro install used, and use that as a starting point for each
partition. Based on my expected data set (in addition to installed
software), I adjust the partitions accordingly, usually giving my data
areas double to triple the current data amount, and software and OS
areas double their needed amount. If I'm really uncertain about the
future, I'll sometimes leave 20% of the available disk space
unpartitioned, so I can make a partition later for anything I did not
anticipate. :-)

I know I'm not giving you fixed numbers, but that's because there's so
much possible variation. I'd rather point out the methods to get to
fixed numbers for a given machine and install, as compared to second
guessing what your actual install and setup will be like.

-Bop