[ale] file server partitioning recommendations....

Keith Morris graphicsguy at charter.net
Wed Dec 3 13:09:39 EST 2003

I just got my new server in today and am getting ready to install and
will primarily using this as a samba file/cvs/testing internal web server.

The machine has a 3ware raid controller with hardware raid 5 with a hot
spare already configured as one big drive (480GB).

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on partition
structure.  There won't be any user home directories, so I don't think I
need a separate /home filesystem.  Here are my initial thoughts:

/boot 100MB
swap 2GB (it has 1GB RAM)
/  4-8GB ???
/tmp 1GB
/shares *all the rest*

do I need a separate /usr, /var, /var/log, /var/spool....etc...etc....etc?

Anyway, any insight you may have would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Keith Morris
IQ Television Group
http://www.iqtv.com