[ale] SCSI Emulation (CD-R)

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 1 12:43:07 EDT 2002

Geoffrey,

On Mon, 2002-07-01 at 12:02, Geoffrey wrote:
> I'm curious about this.  I suspect that you compiled your kernel with
> both ide and scsi support enabled.  If so, then I suspect that it was a
> situation where the ide driver was 'winning' first, therefore the scsi
> driver was not used.
>
> If you have the output of /var/log/messages before and after your fix,
> I'd like to check it out as a learning experience.  Possible?

	It's not so much a matter of 'winning', as it is to have the 'hdX=scsi'
as a kernel parameter.  When the IDE driver sees this, it does _some_
setup, then takes a hands-off approach to that drive, letting the SCSI
driver handle the rest.

	Without the parameter, the IDE driver claims the drive as it's own, and
never gives the SCSI layer a chance.

Danny

---