[ale] something's eating cycles

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 1 13:15:45 EDT 2002

On Monday 01 July 2002 09:38 am, Jonathan Rickman wrote:
> Please expand on how you determined that Mozilla was not the
> culprit. In my experience, when a system has a problem with disappearing
> resources and Mozilla is installed, it is usually the
> culprit...particularly if you have the java-vm installed. Just yesterday,
> I hit a web site with an ill behaved java applet. After closing mozilla,
> the system was maxed out on both processor and memory. It took 2 root
> powered killall -KILL commands to get mozilla to give up its relentless
> attack.

A stupid GUI KDE bit of software is sitting on my taskbar and monitoring
memory and processor useage. It nicely shows me a sad face when the
processor gets overloaded. cute! useful, NOT. Every once in a while it
pops up a window telling me that solitaire is using to much of the
processor or that Mozilla is doing the same. In each case neither program
is active, nor has been for hours. On the taskbar, but idle.
When an evil Java applet messes with my browser, I usually know it
very quickly as everything slows down to a crawl. That does not seem to
be the case here.
I'll do some more digging.
But how do I get "top" to stop or end or quit or whatever? I can't
find a way to get it to stop and give me a prompt. and forcing a
KILL of the session makes things much worse.

Sean

---