[ale] Remote X

Michael Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Thu Aug 29 12:13:22 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-08-28 at 21:36, David Corbin wrote:
> I have two Debian systems (Desktop and Laptop, for the purposes of this
> discussion).  I would like to configure Laptop so that it boots up and
> acts like an X terminal logging in and running on Desktop.  I don't mean
> just run remote systems, I mean I'm never log in to my client. I plan on
> setting this up for a particular runlevel
>
> The first step to me, is to get remote (Desktop) X clients to run on my
> Laptop X server.  I'm having problems.
>
> 1) login to Laptop
> 2) xhost +Desktop
> 3) ssh Desktop
> 4) export DISPLAY=Laptop:0.0
> 5) xterm &

Two possibilities.  First, see if "xhost +" works any better.  If it
does then you just have to figure out what name the laptop thinks the
desktop has.  but you say that DNS is not the issue, so it probably
isn't this.  But it's such a cheap test that it is worth trying.

Second, is you X server actually listening on an external port?  Can you
use your desktop to portscan (nmap) your laptop?  does port 6000 show
up?  If not then either your X server is not configured right, or your
firewall is rejecting those packets.

--Michael

---