[ale] RE dial up to a VPN

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Thu Aug 29 11:39:09 EDT 2002

Weston, Scott wrote:
> My cable Internet provider assigns me an internal static IP behind their
> firewall. If I want a public static IP, I must VPN into their VPN server,
> which then gives me a static public IP. Can someone please recommend a VPN
> client software? They also tend to disconnect the VPN connection if
> connected for long periods. I would also like to configure auto reconnect to
> the VPN if connection is dropped. Any Ideas on how to set this up?  I'm
> using Red Hat 7.2  Thanks, Scott

The major opensource app seems to be freeswan.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~freeswan/
or
http://www.flora.org/freeswan/ (mirror)

or, have fun at http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Security/Virtual_Private_Networks/Protocols/

don't forget tldp.org for your HOW-TO needs....

--
Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith

---