[ale] Lessons learned with rm

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Aug 22 17:27:19 EDT 2002

I've been reading docs on ext3 for the past 2 days. It doesn't look like
it has any way to undelete a file. Unless the code is modified to
support logging of inode data on unlink, deletion on ext3 is rather
permanent. When a file is unlinked on and ext3 file system, the inode
data is also removed that tells which blocks are in use by which file.
It effectively dumps them back "into the pool".

There was a blurb over on RedHat suggesting the use of LDE
http://lde.sourceforge.com as a tool to aide in recovering from a
deleted ext3-system file.  It's NOT for the faint of heart.