[ale] How can I test a codepage module?

Michael Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Thu Aug 22 17:09:18 EDT 2002

I have a production box that has a kernel which doesn't have the
standard code pages installed on it.  It doesn't appear to be a problem,
but there are errors in /var/log/messages.

I compiled those modules, and have a test machine with the same kernel.
The modules load fine on the test machine, but I have no idea how to
test whether they are working.  I don't know how to generate the errors
at will.  The only way I know to test would be to install the modules on
the production machine, but I'd *really* like to test them, first.

So, how can I force codepage to be used?  The ones in question are the
standard wester european ones: nls_iso8859-1 nls_cp437

Any tips appreciated.  This has long been a mystery to me, but I never
really needed ot understand it, before.

Thanks,

Michael

---