[ale] Get paid for undelete on ext3 help

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Aug 22 17:36:41 EDT 2002

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> Who has successfully undeleted information from ext3 and will guide me through
> the process?
>
> I can get to the point where I see the attributes of the deleted file, but I
> cannot read the contents once I dump the file. The question is not rhetorical
> and I can pay $ for the help.

I have done research in this area, not exhaustive by any means, but I've
not located tools to do this for ext3.

That being said, I'd like to address some of your comments below.

> <extra unnecessary words . . .>

<snip>

> The car hypotheticals (from the responses) were not appropriate, however the
> gun examples were. Some guns can discharge if you drop them. In the past,
> this was more of a problem. Now (I believe) that there is a LAW that requires
> gun manufacturers to put 5-6 pound pull on the trigger. In Linux, the
> equivolent would be to create a command "del" which moves data to the tmp
> directory.

The point is, there are tools in existence that permit this.  You just
didn't use one of them.  Was that your fault, probably not, probably the
fact that these solutions were not properly documented for you.

> I am hoping that one day, linux lovers will stop being sooo defensive. I am in
> fraterities that exclude others in the general population with esoteric
> secrets. Should Linux lovers pride themselves *primarily* in the secrets we
> have and the ability to "figure it out?" Is that all we have to make
> ourselves feel good about ourselves? Is it an operating system, or a secret
> society?

I think this is quite a stretch.  I truly believe that if anyone on this
list knew the answer to your question (the secret) they would have
provided it.  Further I guess this is the turn the other cheek
expectation.  You request assistance, you don't get it, you slam Linux
for it's (apparent) failings.  You then expect folks to help you and
then are upset when folks are not as cordial.  Let's face it, a lot of
folks on this list are advocates and yes, there are some (guilty here)
border on irrational when it comes to this.  So, I guess, you shouldn't
be surprised with the comments you received following your abrasive
posting regarding Linux.

Further, my comments were more harsh then I would normally post
particularily because of the one sided posting you had regarding this
particular issue.  I don't know if you posted that to generate the
discussion, or of it actually was published somewhere.  Point is, you're
taking a slap at Linux because you made a mistake you couldn't recover
from.  I've noted many folks on this list have assisted you as well as
others with various problems.  No one here is keeping a secret.

<snip>

> We must realize that only Lusers personally attack someone for not being able
> to figure something out - especially when the Luser does not know or offer a
> SOLUTION.

Again, their negative comments you refer to were presented following
your posting of the 'article' I mentioned above.  NO ONE attacked you
when you posted requests for assistance initially.  Did you get a lot of
assistance, no, but that's not because anyone is holding back.  The
folks on this list will help if the can.  I have often researched other
peoples problems in order to provide a solution.  I did do a search
regarding your problem, but did not find anything useful.  Could I have
done more, possibly, but I'm under a tight deadline this week, so my
time is limited.

> Hopefully, I (with help) will figure out how to undelete data on ext3. And
> when I do, I will post the directions in a format that a newbie can
> understand. I will be part of the solution.

I think that's the attitude you should have come across with to start.
But posting a diatribe regarding Linux's failings in the area of
protecting the user from themselves is not the way you'll urge folks to
provide assistance.

Not too many folks know that I invited you to my home in order to
attempt to resolve your tape to cd dilemma.  No, we were not successful,
but how many folks would invite a total stranger to there home and spend
the better half of a day trying to help.  Yeah, I learned a lot from it,
including the failings of my Sony camcorder, but I would hope you
realized that the intent was to provide assistance.

I need a beer.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

---