[ale] Best Desktop Env or Distro for Windows users?

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Wed Aug 21 15:40:45 EDT 2002

On Wednesday 21 August 2002 02:22 pm, tfreeman wrote:

<snip>

> With MS having a
> virtual desktop monopoly for the past almost 15 years, both in
> applications and OS, I fault their management for not focusing on known
> good engineering (stability, graceful degridation, security, etc) in favor
> of the eye candy and the golly gewhiz features that are more popular. In
> their defense, MS management grew up in the early erea of single task OSs,
> and could not apparently learn the lessons from the earliest days of
> computing from history.

You should also remember that the PC was supposed to be a toy.
Nobody is surprised when a toy falls over.

IBM was surprised when people actually bought the things for
business use
(people wouldn't have done so if they hadn't had the initials IBM on them)

I am quite sure that Bill Gates was even more surprised at what happened
next.  His books, even tho they try, don't convince me that he is any
kind of visionary.

Microsoft is in the business of making money, not making operating systems.
Stability and security weren't critical to that plan, and still aren't.

If you are selling cow manure as fast as you can shovel it, why stop
to deodorize it?

Irv

---