[ale] Best Desktop Env or Distro for Windows users?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Aug 21 15:43:58 EDT 2002

Fulton Green wrote:
> I just checked into Win4Lin. Right now, it does appear that it requires a
> (presumably) validly-licensed copy of Windows in the "MS-DOS fork"
> (95/98/Me). It doesn't support the "NT fork" family (NT/2000/XP).
>
> OTOH, the latest VMWare supports XP, albeit at a $300 price tag (in addition
> to the XP license).

Before I went that route, I'd make damn sure it was necessary.  Outside
of internal or really customized software, there's something in the
Linux world that will replace the Windows based solution.

Sure, I've heard complaints about the email/calendar/shared drive crap,
but the bottom line, who the hell uses that stuff?  I've been through
three organizations who tried and gave up.  Just like my wife, you'll
never get her off her little paper calendar in her purse.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

---