[ale] smart routers?

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Tue Aug 6 20:55:59 EDT 2002

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Christopher Fowler wrote:

> Look at the Rebel routers.  My belief is that a properally executed
> Linux embedded implementation can beat Cisco.  Problem is that many
> people including me through together PC's to do the job.  This is fine
> at home but for business you need to get something that is reliable,
> functional, secure, and has good warranty and support.  Cisco has all
> these but some Linux firewall vendors have even better stuff.

I have no doubts that embedded Linux could theoretically topple IOS. But
in the context of Stephen's question, that's irrelevant. I also have no
doubts that Cisco engineers are studying open source code and borrowing
ideas for IOS. Sometimes I wonder why Cisco doesn't just open up IOS for
the community to poke, prod, hack, and improve. Sooner or later, the Linux
firewall vendors are going to put together a full featured router that can
act as a drop in replacement for Cisco equipment. Personally, I'll be the
first one in line to get one. IOS is a royal PITA. I'd much rather see a
bash prompt.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security