[ale] smart routers?

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Tue Aug 6 20:19:50 EDT 2002

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Stephen Turner wrote:

> are there routers that not only run routing software but also firewall
> software and logging software? guess thats better left to a pc eh?

Yes. Most have at least rudimentary firewalling capability. Some take it
much farther. For example, my Cisco 2621 has the firewall, VPN, and IDS
software options installed. It maintains normal log files and can send
them to a separate syslog server (which it does). The logging portion is
better left to a normal platform, but most Cisco routers blow the doors
off everything when it comes to firewalling. It's all in the disks, or
lack thereof.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security