[ale] Mac/Unix linefeed wierdness

Jennifer Taylor JMTaylor at chathamcounty.org
Fri Jan 19 13:09:14 EST 2001

Sorry for the length of this post, but this is driving me crazy and I can't find anything on the web about it other than what I already know...

A client uses fetch to ftp files back and forth between a redhat 6.2 web server and a Mac running some unspecified os...something not osX.

A month or so ago, we tar'd up all their files and moved them from an old, ugly rh5.2 box to a shiny new rh6.2 box.  That is the ONLY change that we made.  As far as we can ascertain, they have not made any changes to their fetch-ftp setup, but we don't do their tech support so who knows for sure.

Well they were complaining that their files were coming in with no line breaks, but it looked fine on the server so obviously the \n's were in place, but not whatever macs need.  So we did unix2dos because all their text processors recognize the ^M as a line break.  And they were happy, and we managed to convince them to fetch put as raw data instead of text, because it was stripping out all the ^Ms and they were back at no line feeds.  So NOW, when I vi the file, lo and behold there's no \n's, only ^Ms, and so no line breaks for me...which is not optimal.

This is a mess, and we can't figure out why moving from one server to another would cause something like this.  I don't see how it could've.  I maintain that it's the mac's fault.  Anyone got any ideas??   All help will be very much appreciated!

jenn