[ale] debian gui difficulties

Mazukna, Thomas Thomas.Mazukna at delta.com
Wed Dec 5 09:01:12 EST 2001

I had similar experience.
shut down gpm. Once I have X running I have nothing to do in the console.

as of compiling the kernel here is a super-mini-HOWTO:

apt-get install kernel-package
apt-get install libncurses5-dev
apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.16   ( I am running unstable )

cd /usr/src bunzip and untar the kernel source
cd kernel-source-2.4.16
make menuconfig ( requires libncurses5-dev )
make-kpkg kernel_image

after all this is done in /usr/src you should have
kernel-image-2.4.16_1.00.Custom_i386.deb

dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.16_1.00.Custom_i386.deb

if you are running lilo you are set for a reboot.

Tomas