[ale] article for your review...

Irv irvm at ellijay.com
Wed Dec 5 08:52:39 EST 2001

On Tuesday 04 December 2001 11:07 pm, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just wrote an article on UNIX vs. Windows: I'd be grateful if
> you would sanity check it for me.  I'd appreciate any and all
> feedback you have for me.
>
> TIA.

Your fourth paragraph should be your lead - that's where your strongest
message is found.  I'd be tempted to modify it slightly:

"Microsoft is a master of marketing. Too bad they haven't put the same effort
into an operating system. They know that only a small minority of
people......"

I'd say Microsoft has certainly captured the minds, it not the hearts, of
people. Few people actually enjoy the  crashes, you know.

Move the first 3 paragraphs down into the "Adopting an alternative" portion
of your article. They fit there.

I would also like to see more details about why 'leasing' your OS is not a
good idea. Leasing your car seems to be popular, why not an OS?
Maybe that would be a good place to mention the incredible security risk
that Microsoft products represent (some would say encourage or promote
via the backdoors that Microsoft has installed "to prevent piracy")
Ummm..... supposed your leased Beamer reported back to headquarters
where you were driving and who was riding with you?

Good ending, by the way.

Regards,
Irv Mullins

---