[ale] linux on a 486

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Tue Aug 7 15:03:29 EDT 2001

"Joseph A. Knapka" wrote:

> Wandered Inn wrote:
> >
> > Right now, I'm attempting another Slack install with a 48 mb swap.  I'm
> > still getting random failures, and when I do, I switch to another virt.
> > console and do the install of that piece by hand.  I don't know if this
> > will work, but I'm going to follow this through to either completion, or
> > the point at which the install crashes completely.  Should be an
> > interesting learning experience.  Going on it's third day now, although
> > I'm not able to attend to it immediately.  (ie, failures in the middle
> > of the night, got to get some sleep. )
> >
> > I'll post a summary once this completes or dies. :(
>
> Just out of curiosity curiosity: how do you *know* the problem is
> memory?
> What if you start "top" or "vmstaton another virt and watch what happens
> RAM and swap as the installation proceeds?

I don't know it's ram.  But, I often seen the single word 'killed' on
the screen.  I know that there is little if any real ram left, which
would make me believe that that is the problem.

I'm not sure what else it could be.  What else would cause a false EOF
or crc error on a tar file?  NFS timeout?  I suppose, but I don't seen
anything pointing that direction.

Top fails to start, complaints of missing libs.  vmstaton, is that a
typo??

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein