[ale] interesting phenomenon

Lisa Chiang gt6492d at gatech.campuscwix.net
Sat Jul 31 09:20:28 EDT 1999

ALE'rs:

I have noticed a very strange thing with my Linux box (mambear).  I have samba
(version 2.0+) turned on and am sharing the directory /mnt/zip so the windows
machine, Micron, can use my zip drive.

So all I have to do is make sure my network pcmcia card (Netgear FA410) and a
zip disk is installed and everyone on the local Lan can see it.  (I don't have
to mount the zip disk.)

Now here's the funny part.  I decide to remove the zip disk from the drive, but
all the zip files remain visible and accessible under /mnt/zip.  I can even log
out then log back in and it's still there.

I can then put another zip disk in but I can't see its files until I mount it.
As soon as I umount it though, the original zip disk files reappear.

Where are these files being stored - in memory, on the swap partition?

BTW, mamabear is a Pentium II running Suse 6.0 with kernal 2.0.36.  Thanks.

 --
Lisa Chiang
gt6492d at gatech.campuscwix.net
Georgia Institute of Technology