[ale] SDSL Service

Dave Brooks dbrooks at comstar.net
Fri Jul 30 08:54:38 EDT 1999

I don't know if its anything like the ADSL service that was installed at
my house, but here's what I learned generally about single-user vs.
multiuser:

If they say you can set up single-user by yourself and the modem plugs
into your hub, dont do it that way.  Make a dual nic'd Linux server and
hang the modem off of one of the nic cards, the other of course going to
your network.  If the modem is an internal (or external) device that
either hangs off a serial port or parallel port (or, god-forbid USB) and
Linux just doesnt have any support for it, then yes, you'll have to go
with a mult-user solution because chances are the device you will be
provided with is a full-blown router and is capable of stand-alone
operation.

If they say they sy yuo can set up multi-user if you know how, the
device they'll provide you with, more than likely, is a router.  While
this is probably capable of being connected directly to your network
hub, thats, again, strongly discouraged.  Best bet is to go for a
dual-nic'd linux server for proxy/firewalling.  You'll basically be
setting up a VPN.

Local Network <---> Hub <---> ETH0 [Linux Machine] ETH1 <--->
Router/Modem <---> Internet
				Firewalling Rules..
				Routes, etc.

Enjoy!