[ale] DNS

Joe Knapka jknapka at charter.net
Tue Jul 27 10:28:03 EDT 1999

Wandered Inn wrote:
> You should still be able to get to hosts in your /etc/hosts file.  I
> believe there is a file somewhere (can't recall where /etc/hosts.conf
> possibly??) that identifies the order in which to search for name
> resolution (/etc/hosts, then dns...)  Maybe someone else can share this
> info..

/etc/host.conf (note singular)

I can't find any documentation on this, but mine says:

order hosts,bind
multi on

The first line means, "Look in /etc/hosts first, then try
the nameservers in resolv.conf." I have no idea what
"multi on" means. Multiple means of looking up hosts?
Multiple nameservers? Multiple network interfaces?

--Joe

> > Michael Golden
> > Naugrim at Juno.com

> > Get the Internet just the way you want it.
> > Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month!
> > Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.
>
> --
> Until later: Geoffrey           esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
>
> It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
>         -- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl

-- Joe Knapka
* I speak only for myself, except when the little transceiver
* at the base of my skull is activated...