[ale] Bellsouth ADSL? Restrictions ? Alternatives ?

linuxhat at mailandnews.com linuxhat at mailandnews.com
Mon Jul 19 15:08:58 EDT 1999

On 19 Jul 1999, Stephan Uphoff wrote:

>Date: 19-Jul-1999 13:26:56 -0400
>From: Stephan Uphoff <ups at tree.com>
>To: ale <ale at ale.org>
>Cc: ups <ups at tree.com>
>Subject: [ale] Bellsouth ADSL? Restrictions ? Alternatives ?
>

>I am moving to Roswell,GA and have to look for a new high speed ISP
>for telecommuting. Cable ISP is unfortunately not an option in my area.
>
>A static IP address would be nice - but not at the price
>of paying per bytes transfered or signing a two year contract.
>( Call be paranoid: I don't want to pay for an incoming packet
>  storm or mailbombs while being on vacation )
>
>It looks like this means Bellsouth ADSL.

speakeasy.net out of Seattle is doing Covad DSL in Atlanta; northpoint.com
(the DSL provider) is partnering with netdepot and flashcom.  Bellsouth is
going to cost you thru the nose on the install and by only doing adsl
seriously ups the ante on cable loop length.  Regular SDSL doesn't have
quite the kick-ass bandwidth (192-384kb symmetrical as opposed to 768/384 or
faster) but you can be out to 15,000 feet from the call center.  If you're
REALLY out of luck, you can do IDSL anywhere you can do ISDN (it basically
bonds your A, B *and C* channels to give you 144kb)... but the cost goes
up... speakeasy.net has a really neat search engine thingy to calculate loop
lengths and give you Covad prices based on that....

not really a plug for the service; I'm semi-happy with the cablemodem and I
don't want to have to pay that kick-ass install fee only to move again....

warp eight bot
linuxhat at mailandnews.com