[ale] the future of linux on this box

linuxhat at mailandnews.com linuxhat at mailandnews.com
Mon Jul 19 14:46:56 EDT 1999

On 19 Jul 1999, Christopher S. Adams wrote:

>Date: 19-Jul-1999 12:53:01 -0400
>From: Christopher S. Adams <toiletduk at penguinpowered.com>
>To:  <ale at ale.org>
>Subject: [ale] the future of linux on this box
>
>i was recently away during an electrical storm and my modem was connected
>it apparently took a good hit, because the dial tone is distorted now and my modem refuses to connect
>i found a winmodem in a crate and i'm forced to use that for the time being
>are there any places that you recommend that could possibly fix it (preferably in the marietta area, but any ideas are welcome)?

Fix?  <snicker>  replace the sorry thing.  I don't think anyone fixes modems
anymore... Hayes used to, but I think even that has disappeared.  Get
yourself a good V.90 external, and a good surge protector, with the phone
line jacks in it, and plug EVERYTHING into it... you will love yourself for
it.  I have a surge protector on my computers, a surge protector on my
sound system (that one has the F-type jacks for your cable... oh, yes,
that'll spike too), and a surge protector for the various bits of
electronics on either side of my bed in the bedroom.  Paranoid? yes.  Lost
anything to lightning lately?  No.  Surge protector, surge protector, surge
protector.  Even SelectComfort wants you to have one for the little air pump
thingy that goes on their beds.  It's good insurance, and it's cheap.
Nothing will survive a direct hit, but anything else....

ok, </rant>.  Just do it.

warp eight bot
linuxhat at mailandnews.com
did I say surge protector?  :)