[ale] trusted host

Neil Bright ncb at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jul 14 08:18:01 EDT 1999

Chris Coleman wrote the following:

> I'm using Redhat Linux 6.0 and is trying to establish trust between two
> machines. If I create a .rhosts file in my home directory on the remote
> machine and try to rlogin to the machine, it prompts me for my password. The
> only way I found to remove the password prompt is to create /etc/hosts.equiv
> with the name of the server I want to trust. But this causes all users from
> the remote machine to be allowed to rlogin without a password.

Have a look at the file permissions on your .rhosts file.  Some rshd's
are smart enough not to work if it has group or write permissions.

+============ 24 68 BF F6 0E 73 53 47 80 E9 27 7D F9 35 58 4B ============+
 Neil Bright              ncb at cc.gatech.edu            IHPCL administrator
 (404) 385-0448                                       College of Computing
 http://www.cc.gatech.edu/projects/ihpcl   Georgia Institute of Technology