[ale] Weird dd error..

hirsch at mathcs.emory.edu hirsch at mathcs.emory.edu
Wed Jul 14 08:59:54 EDT 1999

> At 03:41 PM 04/16/1999 -0400, Mike Fletcher wrote:

>          If I want to move over all the data on that drive, what would the
> full tar command be?
>
> cd / ; tar -cf /dev/stdout . | (cd /disk2 ; tar -xf /dev/stdin)

I usually use a dashes instead of /dev/stdout and /dev/stdin.  Also, depending
on your configuration you might need -l (--one-file-system) to keep tar from
following mounts across partitions.

On linux I find that the more intuitive "cp -ax / /disk2" works very well.
"-a" means "all" so it copies everything, preserving all permissions, etc.
"-x" is again --one-file-system, so it doesn't copy filesystems mounted on /.

--Michael