[ale] libc5 vs libc6

Nomad the Wanderer nomad at rocky.orci.com
Mon May 4 10:12:38 EDT 1998

Ok,
  A couple stupid questions then.  Since I"m usinging primarily rpm's so
I can keep up with what installs what, where do I get the source for
mount? (What package i.e. net_tools, bin_utils, etc).

  Second.  Is there a list of all the libc-5 files somewhere so I can get
it completely clean?

Robert

Thus spake Chris Ricker (kaboom at gatech.edu):

> On  4 May, Nomad the Wanderer wrote:
> > I moved the /lib/libc.so.5 and it looked happy, except mount wouldn't
> > run anymore.  I figured that was a bad thing.  I linked libc.so.5 to
> > libc.so.6 and it reported "sucess", however it wasn't mounting the
> > filesystems.  When I put the original links back, it worked (and still
> > is).
>
> Do an ldd /bin/mount.  You'll probably find that it's linked against
> libc5.  Simply recompile against glibc and you should be set.
>
> BTW, there's a script floating around (don't remember the name
> off-hand) that will tell you all the files on your system that are
> a.out, elf, linked against what libraries, and things like that.  I
> think it's intended for finding unused libs (so you can delete them to
> save space), but it might be useful for finding everything linked
> against libc5....  If you can't find it, you can make your own with
> find, file, and ldd.
>
> > Sue you?  As many of my stupid questions as you've answered?
>
> I've long since learned that it's best to include a disclaimer when
> telling someone to delete libc ;-).
>
> later,
> chris
>
> --
> Chris Ricker						kaboom at gatech.edu

Robert L. Harris            |   Educate the Masses,
Senior System Administrator |      Don't just help them to
  at Great West Life.        \_       Remain ignorant.

http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:

FYI: