[ale] modem inactivity timeout

Linux Idiot esoteric at atlnet.com
Mon May 4 10:03:09 EDT 1998

Eric Z. Ayers wrote:

> Linux Idiot writes:
>  > I posted a question earlier as to whether anyone knew why the
>  > idle-disconnect option disappeared in pppd version found on RedHat 5.0.
>  > I didn't get any response, but started searching for a possible modem
>  > option that performs this function.  On my 56K V.90 USR Sportster, the
>  > docs say that register s19 can be set to a modem idle time out value.  I
>  > tried testing this option by setting it to 2 minutes (ats19=2).  Well,
>  > no timeout.  Anyone know why this did not work?  I'm not a tcp protocol
>  > guru, so I was wondering if there is some info being passed that would
>  > keep the timeout from becoming activated.
>
> We use s19 set to 30 minutes and it does work for us on PPP links.

Interesting, I shuffled some of my modem parameters around and now it's
working.  I don't know if I was doing something wrong or if the
parameters have to be in a particular order.  I had:

ats19=15 OK 'at&f1&k2' OK

and changed it to:

'at&f1&k2' OK ats19=15 OK

I wouldn't expect that to make a difference.  Thanks.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at atlnet.com

NT is secure.... as long as you don't remove the shrink wrap.
Want to speed up your NT box real cheap?  Replace NT with Linux...