[ale] Linux and Kodak Digital Camera

Chris Ricker gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu
Tue Sep 16 16:22:27 EDT 1997

On 16 Sep, Robert L Harris wrote:
> No,
>   This isn't really off topic.

As if anything on this list ever is ;-).

>   I have a Kodak DC25 digital cam that's actually pretty good.  The problem
> is the only way to d/l pics is in 95.  I'm looking for a way to do this from
> Linux.  I don't care if it's a netscape plugin although I'd prefer a really
> sick little C program that can d/l and/or erase the pics from the camera.
> Does anyone have anything like this?  If not,  I have someon who might be
> able to accomplish this if I can get the specs on communication with the
> camera.  Problem is he hasn't written under linux.  Can someone give me
> some code fragments on opening "com1" (would that be ttys0 or cua0?)
> on linux?

I dunno if this will help you or not.  I've played with a few different
digital cameras (at work, borrowed from friends, etc.) and tried a
couple under linux.  Here's the software I know of; perhaps it'll be
enough to give your friend ideas:

http://www.mit.edu/people/mkgray/ephoto (for the Agfa ePhoto; worth
visiting just for the image of Tux the Linux Penguin using an Agfa ;-).

ftp://ftp.cc.gatech.edu/pub/linux/apps/graphics/capture/photopc-1.5.tar.gz
(for the Epson PhotoPC; more importantly, this comes with source code
you can show your friend)

http://www.lyot.obspm.fr/~dl/dc20/ has the beginnings of Linux support
for the Kodak DC20 (I'd hope Kodak uses basically the same access
protocol for all their digital cameras).

good luck!

later,
chris

Chris Ricker                                 gt1355b at prism.gatech.edu