[ale] Good Laptop for Linux these days

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Thu Aug 3 10:49:53 EDT 2023

I recently purchased refurbed Lenovo Thinkpad x1 from Microcenter.
i7 processor, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, WiFi, Bluetooth, 1920X1080 touch screen(not needed, but it's there) and everything worked out of the box with opensuse leap 15.5. Except the fingerprint reader, which seems like a problem with fp reader mfgr's in general.

$499. Only problem is, they may already be out of stock.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> Bob Toxen via Ale <ale at ale.org> 08/02/2023, 08:29 PM >>>
All,

What would be a good laptop for Linux these days?

I've had good luck in the past with Lenovo and Toshiba. However, with
my most recent Lenovo it was impossibly difficult to replace the battery.

I'm not a gamer (or a password cracker) so I don't need lots of CPU power.

I do need WiFi, good size disk (or solid state), DVD burner, and
ability to watch movie DVDs, good keyboard action, and good size screen.
I'll have a trackball so touchpad/touchstick not too important if it
isn't in the way.

All thumbs up or down greatly appreciated.

THANKS!
Bob