[ale] Good Laptop for Linux these days

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 09:04:16 EDT 2023

No, CD/DVD, it;s dying media. So much for you own what you buy, but that
better for another talk.

So, I got a 15.6 ASUS ROG laptop about three years ago, my Dell Persuasion
6600 got dropped by my daughter so I need a new case and someone willing to
replace the case for me, still a great laptop for Linux 17" portable
workstation.  The ASUS ROG is i7 8 Cores, and I've been running Fedora 34
on, need to upgrade to 38 soon. I had to buy a sata ribbon because it has
the support for a sata drive, but it was extra, it came with a 256 GB NVMe
that I replaced with a 1 TB drive, I also replaced the 8 Gigs with 32
Gigs.

I got the laptop at Best Buy it was open box model, no box or manual,
usually when for 900 I believe at the time, but I got $550, I carry it with
me when I travel and to go the office, but I been told that when I was a
contractor it was ok, not that I am fed, no person laptop/tablets, which
bugs I vpn back at home so I can work in my home lab, trying to get
minikube working on my Libre Computer Renegade Cluster, I spent like $250
bucks on to build,  but hey at the time cheaper than buy one Raspberry Pi 4
with 8 gigs ( another talk we should have, scalers and what circle of Hell
do they belong too. ) Check out my build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMlZdV7QPuU, it looks nice. I gonna redo
the Rancher setup.

>From what you are looking at, go with Lenovo, I have a backup Lenovo T540,
I am letting my daughter use it. It has a DVD, 16 Gigs Memory, 15.6 Screen
with NVidia 2 Gig Graphics card ( I think 7000x series ), i5 and it's nice.
Only reason I don't use it is because she grabbed it and has been using the
Luna Client ( Java Client for Minecraft that works on Linux ) to play
Minecraft and Roloblox.  It's running openSUSE Tumbleweed on it so it
always update when she brings it. I wanted another Lenovo, because of how
well that one is doing. It's a Thinkpad, a great line of laptops.

I have a graveyard of Dell Laptops. I use to love them, but Lenovo shown me
that they can last. My boss at he company that gave me the T540, he has X1
Carbon, that thing was crazy looked like Mac Book Air.

Newer laptop are better because then like Jim said  you can use a TV as a
monitor ( Most new TV are monitor with a tuner ). The older Lenovo doesn't
do well with my Dell 34" monitor, but the ASUS does.

Honestly only time I use my laptop though is when I am not at home,
now-a-days I am on either Radxa Rock 5 or Orange Pi5 trying to get libvirtd
to work on those RockChip SBC, libvirtd works, graphic out doesn't work so
well. It's nice that you can get a small board computer with 16 Gigs, can
use NMVe for storage and a gui that can do 8K and cost less than Raspberry
Pi 4 with 8 gigs. I can see a cluster of these make up some nice docker or
virt clusters.

Until next time, this lycanthrope wishes all peace.

On Thu, Aug 3, 2023 at 8:18 AM Jim Kinney via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> Do laptop still come with a DVD? I've been using external DVD for a while
> now. My Dell XPS 15 and the Inspiron are doing quite well. Not had an issue
> with wifi chips not working with Linux in a long time.
>
> If you plan to watch movies on the laptop, definitely go with the 15"
> screen. A 17" is a large handful to move around and lands in the gaming
> status, i.e., expensive, hot, power hog.
>
> I matched my laptop display with my TV , both 4k, so I can cable my TV in
> as a second 55" monitor :-)
>
> On Wed, Aug 2, 2023, 8:29 PM Bob Toxen via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> What would be a good laptop for Linux these days?
>>
>> I've had good luck in the past with Lenovo and Toshiba.  However, with
>> my most recent Lenovo it was impossibly difficult to replace the battery.
>>
>> I'm not a gamer (or a password cracker) so I don't need lots of CPU power.
>>
>> I do need WiFi, good size disk (or solid state), DVD burner, and
>> ability to watch movie DVDs, good keyboard action, and good size screen.
>> I'll have a trackball so touchpad/touchstick not too important if it
>> isn't in the way.
>>
>> All thumbs up or down greatly appreciated.
>>
>> THANKS!
>> Bob

Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne