[ale] "Better" SO/SOHO networking (Ubiquiti?)

DJPfulio at jdpfu.com DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed Jan 5 10:33:34 EST 2022

There is a chip shortage across all industries, that includes networking.

If you need a maintainable router, that doesn't cost $250+, consider running either pfSense or OPNsense on a low-power x86-64.  Machines like that have been around for years in the $100-$200 range. Add in a few Intel Dual-port GigE NICs and you have a 4-5 port router.

I've been running an pcEngines APU2 with OPNSense for years now. Wouldn't get that today, but until it stops working or I need something faster, it is fine.  Since I consider all wifi to be insecure, I'm willing to have an old wifi router in AP-only mode connected outside the secure network for untrusted devices like all IoT stuff (including phones and tablets and cheap spy cams).  But we've all seen that current wifi protocols and all prior protocols have flaws, right?  https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/12/22433134/fragattacks-wi-fi-vulnerabilities-update-security
If you care about security, only use wifi with a VPN - yes - even in your own home. Go wired whenever possible.  That removes the unknown, unpatched, next batch of wifi security failures.  Belts AND suspenders. I prefer both and know that I'm bad at security in other ways, so doing those 2 things (wifi outside the LAN and using VPN to traverse inside), isn't asking too much. There is just a slight cost of convenience.