[ale] Remove systemd network handling

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Sep 28 01:51:20 EDT 2021

Jim Kinney said on Mon, 27 Sep 2021 23:40:06 -0400

>Geez. The system updated, added undocumented system-changing process
>and failed to include relevant man pages. That's so beyond bad form.
>It's truly astounding that it's not been a yelling fit online a out
>this at rasbian.

Nothing like that Jim. My question was about systemd in general, not
Raspian or any other single distro.

I had no systemd man pages because, wait for it, I use Void Linux,
which inits with runit, not systemd.

Based on the input from Solomon and Bob, as soon as I get a chance, I'm
going to make a qemu Ubuntu VM, mask out everything except journald,
and have systemd's process supervisor or whatever spawn the runit
process supervisor.

If this works, survives upgrades including major ones, and isn't too
difficult, it solves quite a few of the problems many of us have with
systemd.

By the way, 15 years ago I didn't like sysvinit, so I did the same
thing with sysvinit: I slowly shut down sysvinit's spawning of
many daemons and transfered their spawning and supervising to the
Daemontools process supervisor. Big improvement in my life.

SteveT

Steve Litt