[ale] Print vs electronic: Was: Remove systemd network handling

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Sep 27 20:11:30 EDT 2021

Calibre has an epub conversion feature with a number of different formats supported for input and output. Conversion of PDF to the others generally ends badly, especially when the publisher uses 2 columns on a page.  HTML and lightly formatted text as input generally converts to other formats nicely. That's been my experience.

I use pandoc to generate text and html output from my textile markup language.
I wrote a little perl script to generate an S5 slideshow from the same input.  The input is a mix of textile with CSS hints.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

ROOT=${1/%.md/}
TITLE=$(echo "$ROOT" | sed -e 's/[_-]/ /g' )

pandoc -s -T "$TITLE" --standalone --slide-level=3 -f textile \
    -t plain $ROOT.md -o $ROOT.txt
pandoc -s -T "$TITLE" --toc --standalone --slide-level=3 -f textile \
    -t s5 $ROOT.md -o $ROOT.html

So, an input page in the 101-Wk04-Access_Control.md would be:

Code:
h3. Objectives: Access Control Systems

* <span class="incremental"> Understand Linux Access Controls  </span>
* <span class="incremental"> View/Assign permissions for files/directories </span>
* <span class="incremental"> Understand umask  </span>
* <span class="incremental"> Understand setuid, setguid, and "sticky bit"  </span>
* <span class="incremental"> Ext file system Attributes  </span>

All markdown languages have limitations, that's the price of simplification.  The "incremental" span class is for the S5 part and ignored by the other two. You can guess the text and HTML output from that. No surprises.