[ale] Remove systemd network handling

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Mon Sep 20 21:09:59 EDT 2021

On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 04:46:23PM -0700, Alex Carver via Ale wrote:
> The network service is likely fine and helpful with a laptop that moves
> around a lot.  A static machine doesn't need that.  I'm hoping this is
> the fix because there's nothing else that indicates a hardware issue.

It's worth mentioning that on the RPi, the built-in ethernet interface
is attached via USB and as such can't be considered "static", and quirks
of the controllers make USB less reliable on the (pre-4) RPis that one
might expect.

If you're using a wireless interface (even the ones built into newer
models) link state is inherently dynamic, and any network management in
place needs to be able to properly handle links (if not entire devices)
randomly coming and going when their underlying bus is inherently
hot-pluggable.

> My data loggers just show various commands timing out and then, when it
> tries to reconnect automatically, I get an error "no route to host"

Is this error on the RPi or the data aggregator?

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)