[ale] Remove systemd network handling

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Sep 20 09:59:19 EDT 2021

Which distro?

Many have deprecated and haven't used /etc/network/interfaces in a few years. This is a separate issue from systemd.

Any systemd service can be disabled, then "mask"ed to prevent it from running.
$ sudo systemctl list-units
will show the .services you can do that with.  Getting the wrong services can make for a bad day.

On 9/19/21 6:55 PM, Alex Carver via Ale wrote:
> Ok, I'm having some trouble figuring out how to completely remove
> systemd from handling network connections.  For some reason it decides
> to bounce the connection on a couple machines every few days with no
> information in the logs as to why.  It causes havoc with a bunch of data
> collection scripts that are connected to instruments. I completely lose
> connection to any of the instruments and can't recover without fully
> restarting the scripts. I don't need the connection managed for me, it's
> perfectly fine statically configured.
>
> The device is already statically defined in /etc/network/interfaces, I'm
> not using DHCP on this particular machine, and there's no need to be
> looking for hotplug events because the instruments and computer are all
> bolted together in the same chassis.
>
> I still seem to have a networking.service listed but I've not found a
> way to stop everything. Nearly everything I find in searching is how to
> enable it which isn't what I want.
>

> As an aside, are there any good explanations for how to remove user
> management and login control from systemd as well?  I don't need seats
> or any of the fancy features on this machine, that's just overhead for
> no good value so I'd rather to back to plain logins.

Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media
centers, and servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT
professionals.