[ale] Remove systemd network handling

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 09:38:42 EDT 2021

Try grepping through the systemd control file area for "network". Systemd is being told to start networking then told again to restart with different settings. The problem is with the conflicting configuration.
I, too have many thousands of perfectly working systemd machines, hardware and virtual. Computers are brainless. They do only exactly what we tell them to do.

On September 20, 2021 2:21:20 AM EDT, Alex Carver via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>The beef is that it's handling something I don't need handled.  Any
>distribution using systemd and then just letting the default networking
>fall to systemd is letting that be handled.
>
>I just want to assign the IP to the NIC and be done, I don't need the
>extra features.  Technically this is Raspian so it's not fully built
>around systemd, it's also running headless so there are no hard
>dependencies on systemd.  But the key thing is that I don't want
>something that somehow systemd interprets as an instruction to drop and
>restart the interface which is what seems to be happening.  So pulling
>out networking from its control should fix that.
>
>On 2021-09-19 18:10, Solomon Peachy via Ale wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 19, 2021 at 03:55:44PM -0700, Alex Carver via Ale wrote:
>>> The device is already statically defined in /etc/network/interfaces,
>I'm
>>> not using DHCP on this particular machine, and there's no need to be
>>> looking for hotplug events because the instruments and computer are
>all
>>> bolted together in the same chassis.
>>
>> It sounds like your beef isn't with systemd specifically, but how the
>
>> underlying distribution is [mis-]handling things...
>>
>> You may want to contact distribution-specific channels about that,
>> because generic advice here probably won't be terribly helpful.
>>
>>> As an aside, are there any good explanations for how to remove user
>>> management and login control from systemd as well?  I don't need
>seats
>>> or any of the fancy features on this machine, that's just overhead
>for
>>> no good value so I'd rather to back to plain logins.
>>
>> If you're trying to eliminate the use of systemd's networking stuff
>from
>> a distribution built around using systemd's networking stuff, you'll
>> probably find it much less perilous (and work) to just switch to a
>> different distribution altogether.
>>
>> There are plenty of other distributions out there, with and without
>> systemd, though I should note that most systemd-based distros don't
>use
>> systemd's networking features.
>>
>>  - Solomon

Computers amplify human error