[ale] Training recommendations

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue Oct 26 14:43:34 EDT 2021

Many years ago, I was sent to basic Unix training for a week. It was $2500 and a firehose for someone like me with next to zero skills at the time, but a desire to learn. I'd been programming dos, windows, os/2, and mvs for years.

Work through http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php as a user-primer. Admins need that background FIRST, before an other training.
LPI used to have admin 101 and 102 free resources. lpi.jdpfu.com has some from 2017-ish.

Really some sort of mentor is required or you'll never know what you don't know. That leads to doing things the hard way, almost always. Thinking the "unix way" is a process.

Of course all these these things take effort, practice and desire.

Be certain to get not just formal training, but a raise for each course passed.  A RHEL cert should add $15K to a salary over what an LPI cert does, on average. More valuable employees should be paid more.