[ale] Linux on 6GB Dell notebook?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Nov 17 03:53:22 EST 2021

Scott Plante via Ale said on Tue, 16 Nov 2021 15:18:46 -0500

>Have you all seen the new Framework laptop? It's designed to be Linux
>friendly and easy to self-repair and upgrade. Very modular with QR
>coded parts that lead to replacement instructions. I'm not ready for a
>new device at the moment but it's definitely at the top of my list to
>look at if I do anytime soon.
>
>https://frame.work/

I was expecting the obscene prices of the system76 and Penguin
Computing machines. But although this is anything but cheap, it's not
obscene for what you get.

For $886 you get 256GB NVMe, 8GB RAM, CPU with 4 cores, 8 threads, Intel
wifi (none of that broadcom junk). Yeah, you can get a similar HP on
sale in the $500 range, but it's not > $1000 for 4GB RAM.

NOTE: I couldn't tell for sure, but your USB and other ports might cost
extra.

To get 1TB NVMe and 64GB RAM, it would cost you $1246. The processor is
a little slow at 2.4Ghz, but my reading tells me it can be turbo'ed up
to 3.8 or 4.2.

NOTE: I couldn't tell for sure, but your USB and other ports might cost
extra.

Alas, my eyes preclude a 13.5" screen, so I can't use it. But for
others, this is a seriously DIY friendly laptop. And if it breaks, you
can replace just the broken part.

Interesting!

SteveT

Steve Litt