[ale] Linux on 6GB Dell notebook?

neal at mnopltd.com neal at mnopltd.com
Mon Nov 15 09:22:40 EST 2021

So, Thanks for the advice on helping friend with virus scan on their 6gb
Dell notebook.

I think that got it to the point of occasionally running ok, but also
often needing more than 6GB for Win 10, and starting to thrash.

It's one of those Dells without a RAM door on the bottom.

The recommendation from HL computer was to swap the drive with a 500GB
SSD, and virus scan the new drive.  They wanted $260 for that.

I'm seeing Walmart is peddling an HP I3 with 8GB RAM, 220GB SSD for $270
this week.

Which is actually a better proposition.  Friend's finances are limited.

I'm debating telling him I'll give him $100 for the old notebook and
reformat it for linux.   Likely Ubuntu.

Guessing Ubuntu will run fine in 6GB.

It's been a couple of years since I did that.  Are there new hurdles
with doing a fresh install?  EUFI?  What about audio?  Audacity?
TeamViewer? Ultimaker Cura?   Zoom?

regards,

Neal