[ale] [EXTERNAL] Re: [ALE] So the winner is?

Allen Beddingfield allen at ua.edu
Wed May 19 21:53:53 EDT 2021

I remember being at an event several years back, where a group of 20-something web hipsters were doing a session on how they had replaced the legacy client/server setup at a corporation with some overly complicated in-house built thing mixing all sorts of web technologies and dbs in containers running at a cloud provider.  They were very detailed about their decision to put it in containers, because all the infrastructure people at that company were so behind the times with all their security models, insisting on not running things as root, firewalls, blah, blah...
Quite a few people left shaking their heads at that point.   I was sitting next to a guy FROM a major cloud hosting provider, who almost choked on his coffee while laughing when one of them said that "It is just a matter of time before Dell and HP are out of the server business - no one needs their servers anymore!  Everything will be running in the cloud, instead!"

I still argue that the main motivating force behind containers is that developers want an easy way to circumvent basic security practices, sane  version control practices, and change control processes.  There are plenty of valid use cases for them, but sadly, that is the one actually driving things.  We have a whole generation of developers who weren't taught to work within the confines of the system presented to them.
No one ever prepared them for enterprise IT.  Now we have heaven knows what software, running heaven knows what version, in some container that developers can put online and take offline at will.  Who audited that random base Docker image they started with?  Are patches applied to what is running in there?  Is it secretly shipping off sensitive data somewhere?  Who knows.  Unless you defeat the whole purpose of a container, you don't have any agents on the thing to give you that data.

Next, I'm going to go outside and yell at people to get off my lawn . . .

Allen B.
--
Allen Beddingfield
Systems Engineer